Sunday, June 21, 2009

#4 - the failed deck

I built a new press for this deck and promptly started to learn from a string of small mistakes. The bamboo veneers really didn't want to conform to the shape without cracking along it's length. I've since devised a simple method to counter this and aid in making the bamboo form into more complex shapes.

Once pressed I went ahead and finished the deck with plenty of fiberglass to ensure that everything stays together. The W concave that I was going for came out a bit strong in the middle and the glass on the bottom is blemished due to very stupid mistake on my part.


Currently the deck is set up as a sample and is getting passed around amongst various riders. It's interesting to ride but makes my arches hurt after more than thirty minutes of riding it. I'm planning on selling it soon for not a whole lot of money.